• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Item identification

There was some discussion about this Facebook, but I did not see an official ruling. As some of what was said on Facebook contradicted what I had been told during the game, I would really like an official answer :

Do we know what magical items do?

For example:
If I had a magical item in my loot bag, do I know what effect it has on me?
If a merchant offers to sell me a magical weapon, do I know if it actually is magical and if it does what the merchant says it does?
If the hospital has several potions in a box, can I choose the correct one based on the tag inside, imagining that each kind is a different color in game, or would we have to add more in game labelling to the potion bottles to do that?

Thanks
Human woman, with long auburn hair, wearing a green cloak and carrying an old fighting staff. Under her cloak, you can glimpse golden scale armor, a leather bag and a bright purple sash.

OOG you can know what it does if the event happens. IG on the other hand you do not know what is happening. As an example you get gauntlets that give you +2 strength. You'll notice you can lift things easier. They also have a backlash that if you do a certain thing it will make you talk backwards the rest of the day. You don't know it does that but you still respond to it.
You do not know if the item is magical unless you are a Mage with the third level occupational ability detect Magic. Even then you will not know in what way it is magical for sure.
I have not heard of that. As far as I know the hospital should label these potions for others to see. Otherwise it's akin to going to a pharmacy and guessing what drugs you need based on the shape of the pill.
Joseph is often seen with a wooden staff in hand, and wearing a black leather hat, beige tunic and blue cloak over his shoulders.
Mark Drew

(11-06-2017, 03:18 PM)Vaela Wrote: There was some discussion about this Facebook, but I did not see an official ruling.  As some of what was said on Facebook contradicted what I had been told during the game, I would really like an official answer :

For example:
If a merchant offers to sell me a magical weapon, do I know if it actually is magical and if it does what the merchant says it does?
If the hospital has several potions in a box, can I choose the correct one based on the tag inside, imagining that each kind is a different color in game, or would we have to add more in game labelling to the potion bottles to do that?

Thanks

This is my understanding, though the jury is still slightly out on a portion of this topic due to a Global Rules post. Generally:

1. If you have a magical item in your bag, and it does something passive (a persistent effect, a curse, etc.) it will still affect you, even if it is not identified yet. Your character may be able to infer that it is because of the item you just picked up, etc.

2. All weapons with a Magic Aura (i.e. swings for enchanted Magic damage) glow white. So a merchant offering you a magical weapon is pretty visually obvious. HOWEVER, if the weapon in question has other effects he/she is not telling you, then you have no idea until it is identified.

3. Alchemy can only be identified as what type by an alchemist (unless you've seen it several times before) and Healing magic potions can only be identified similarly by Healing casters. Again, if your character has seen a Cure Serious Wounds potion a bunch of times, you probably can infer what kind of potion you are holding.

In terms of identification, the Mage Level 3 Occupational Ability Detect Magic can see whether or not something of the appropriate Sphere of Magic you possess is present on the item, and if it is magical. To actually fully identify a magic item, certain things have to be done IG. I won't spoil those for those who do not know, but the information is easy to get if you ask Mage's Guild folk Smile
Om'un Rohgu, Magus of the Conclave, Cleric of Pandora
An old Ogre in hooded robes. Wears a greatkilt with a monstrous design. Black tusks and white glass right eye. Various necklaces. Two giant tusks are strapped to backpack. Walks with a white oak staff.

facebook is not an official means of answering rules questions it never has been there is a global rules forum for rules questions so that all guilds can be kept in line with the same rulings
Co-Guild Master/Head Armor Marshal/Shaper 2015-2018
In charge of: Draconic/Rituals/Templates
NPCs: Baron Ravencroft, Mayor Ra'sul Hakim, Michael Sha'relas, Bob, Derick, Guard Captain, Steve  
shawn.loader@yahoo.ca

(11-10-2017, 01:42 AM)Shawn Loader Wrote: facebook is not an official means of answering rules questions it never has been there is a global rules forum for rules questions so that all guilds can be kept in line with the same rulings

Thanks, I did take a look at the global forums, but the discussion on that subject seems to have died a month ago without really solving the issues that were brought up... and has the people disagreeing both have titles, I have no idea who gets the final word.
Human woman, with long auburn hair, wearing a green cloak and carrying an old fighting staff. Under her cloak, you can glimpse golden scale armor, a leather bag and a bright purple sash.

k unless global comes down with something concrete i would say unless an item is weapon blacked or says ritual mask on it it has a very faint glow if its magical. you do not know its effects nore can you activate them until they are identified. that said if its an item that grants x and its an ongoing non activated effect it takes hold when you pick it up. so any item that says:

_____ / day
_____/ever
______/month
______/event

all have to be identified to use
Co-Guild Master/Head Armor Marshal/Shaper 2015-2018
In charge of: Draconic/Rituals/Templates
NPCs: Baron Ravencroft, Mayor Ra'sul Hakim, Michael Sha'relas, Bob, Derick, Guard Captain, Steve  
shawn.loader@yahoo.ca

(11-06-2017, 03:18 PM)Vaela Wrote: There was some discussion about this Facebook, but I did not see an official ruling.  As some of what was said on Facebook contradicted what I had been told during the game, I would really like an official answer :

For example:

Thanks

I can only answer the last questions: (Referring to Alchemy).

*A box filled with potions*
Only the original creator of the potion itself- knows  automatically what the liquid is within any particular vial! That also includes the owner of a box filled with Potions. They may have transfered the liquids they bought to their own system of colour-coded vials (etc...) Unless whomever owns the box of potions/elixirs/toxins has good reasons to have imparted that knowledge. You wouldn't be able to make ends-or tails of what medication is which...

You do not know what a potion will do In-game.  
Even those given to you (or sold) by other Players! You have to go with RP then. Do you trust them? Have you bought from them in the past? If your character finds potions on the ground regularly, and uses them. With OG-tag knowledge
Then finds- a poison or acid on the ground, they technically would have to Roleplay it as their character has done in the past (with mysterious liquids) and drink them too... suffering whatever consequences.
Unfortunately the community is either ignorant of this or *willfully*-ignorant and dishonourably ignores this facet of potions and alchemy.

----
In-game determining what alchemy is what (in bottles)

(Taken from CoreRulebook)
Each Alchemist has a basic knowledge of plants and herbs that allows them to identify known Alchemical concoctions after having examined the substance for one minute. This will not allow Alchemists to identify ingested Alchemy which has been applied to food or drink, or contact Alchemy which has been applied to a surface.

------
In-game detecting alchemy added to something (on food or in drinks)

A 'Detect Alchemy'-elixir which is a production-(PP/RM) is required to be mixed with a potion to show that there is the presence of alchemy and of an alchemical agent it is mixed with!

There are then two outcomes:

Adding (Detect Alchemy-Elixir) Person Does not have Alchemy:
It has a potion tag and you would have legitimate reasons to add the detect alchemy-elixir;
(RP-IG it changes colour) and your character knows that there is *something* added of alchemical nature in whatever it is was mixed with (ex. Food, whine, water etc...).

Adding (Detect Alchemy-Elixir) Person has Alchemy 1+
If you do have the Alchemy-skill, (RP IG-it changes colour) but you know which colours indicate what kind of effect, as an Alchemist you understand the detect-Alchemy-Elixir's reaction more intrinsically than someone else who just simply purchased it from an alchemist. I imagine its still the 1 minute rule for determining what alchemy is present (in Corerulebook)

---
After being affected by Alchemy and its removal.

Anatomy

Detects the presence of a Toxin or non-magical disease in a person's system- but does not identify the origins as being from Alchemy or potions specifically. 
It could be spider poison or snake bite etc... Just the YES/NO presence of something.

Level 3 Physician

Can identify the type of toxins and of non-magical disease(lvl2) In the person's system and how it may have been introduced (Ingested, contact, bite). They can also take 1 minute to purge the toxin - (as if by using a standard Antidote/Remedy) but if interrupted won't be able to remove it for 5 days.

That cool Ranger Occupational ability!
Detoxify - is - cool.

A Remedy or Antidote-like spell
A platinum haired Ajaunti who loves to wear blues and turquoises. She carries some-kind of instrument or other; whether lyre, flute or drum. She has such a thick accent, many have trouble understanding her.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon