• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scale vs Ring or Studded
Hello,
I am working on the gear of my character for my 2nd session so I can attend with some kind of protection as well as her weapons.
Within the CoreRulebook there is Leather/Studded/Chain/Plate. I am wondering exactly where ScaleMail fits, since you need to chain-mail the scales themselves together with 16-18g as well. 

1st question
Is Scale-Mail considered the same as Chain or Studded Leather? From what I am reading, it would receive a 1 points deduction because its aluminium and scale... but it cant go down more than 1 points (as says the rules... Aluminum Scale Mail only receives a -1 penalty, not 1.5)  So does it start close to Plate and get downgraded to Chain. Or does it go from Chain-mail and get counted as Studded-Leather? It doesnt say where Scale-Mail starts at. (Really not clear in the CoreRulebook).

2nd question:
If ScaleMail is constructed in a way that the back is also Chain (5 ringed 16/18g) behind the scales, then does it give an additional 1 point (from being chain on top of scale) because it is pieces of additional metal in front (the scale) or is it moot-point? Just makes the Chain-mail look pretty and there's no point for the added cost/work etc...?

In this case --- the Underworld armour system is pretty bogus XD! Needs a bit of revision that! Which I have heard echoed by many in the community. Working in history and War museums is interesting, since I get so much 1st sources on this type of thing. I remember from Roman-army literature during the war Museum's Gladiator exhibit reading about the following;

Author - Quotation:
((Scale armour offers better and more solid protection from piercing and blunt attacks than mail.))
 Goldman, Norma."Reconstructing Roman Clothing", in The World of Roman Costume. Eds. Judith Lynn Sebesta and Larissa Bonfante Madison, Wisc.: University of Wisconsin Press, 1994
A platinum haired Ajaunti who loves to wear blues and turquoises. She carries some-kind of instrument or other; whether lyre, flute or drum. She has such a thick accent, many have trouble understanding her.
I'm not sure about an of the other details, but to gain points from 2 armour types in one section you need heavy armour (eg. To wear chain over leather for 3+1 points per section). Heavy armour is a CP purchasable skill that basically means your character has strengthened themselves enough to hold extra armour.
You will probably need an armour Martial for the rest. I will message someone to let them know it posted.
(09-24-2017, 01:56 AM)Kitara Wrote: I'm not sure about an of the other details, but to gain points from 2 armour types in one section you need heavy armour (eg. To wear chain over leather for 3+1 points per section). Heavy armour is a CP purchasable skill that basically means your character has strengthened themselves enough to hold extra armour.
You will probably need an armour Martial for the rest. I will message someone to let them know it posted.

Ah... Okay. I got an answer MSG that its the same as Chain so 3 points.
A platinum haired Ajaunti who loves to wear blues and turquoises. She carries some-kind of instrument or other; whether lyre, flute or drum. She has such a thick accent, many have trouble understanding her.
scale is concidered plate that is penalized .5 a location if aluminium a full point deduction so 3pts a location

technically you can wear chain and scale together for a max of 6.5 a location add more penalties for aluminum

unfortunately the rulebook as written requires 2 armour types to be completely seperatable other wise you can only claim 1 point from the lesser source.

i can tell you from real testing that scale is better against slashing, arrows and blunt weapons however upwards thrusts go straight through it as typically it is created with 4 links of chain held together by 1 scale
Co-Guild Master/Head Armor Marshal/Shaper 2015-2017
In charge of: Divine/Draconic/Rituals/Templates
NPCs: Baron Ravencroft, Mayor Ra'sul Hakim, Michael Sha'relas, Bob, Derick, Ka'lar, Guard Captain  
shawn.loader@yahoo.ca
Bribes: chocolate covered strawberries, strong hot chocolate
(11-10-2017, 02:03 AM)Shawn Loader Wrote: unfortunately the rulebook as written requires 2 armour types to be completely seperatable other wise you can only claim 1 point from the lesser source.

So does this mean my Brigandine, which has an 8 oz leather gambeson underneath the steel plates could go for 4 points of plate, plus 1 leather?

The steel plates are attached to the leather gambeson.
A white-haired Dark Elf with a horrific black-and-red painted mask, he dons plated armor and a white kinbaori with a symbol on the back in the shape of a red hourglass with black wings attached coming to a point above it.

Bryson Lacroix
bryson.lacroix@hotmail.com
yes. you can count the 1 point of leather to your total points. i have a good idea of your armor but i will take a second look at it next game
Huh

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon